GANG SHOW 2017
We’re looking for Cubs, Brownies, Scouts, Guides, Rangers, Explorers, Network members, Young Leaders and Adult Leaders to join next year’s Gang Show. If you’re in the movement and you haven’t yet reached your 65th birthday, come along to the Get-together to find out about the show.
The Gangs (Terminology)
Who are we talking about?
Mini Gang: Cubs & Brownies
Junior Gang: Scouts & Guides
Senior Gang:Senior Sections & Adult Leaders (Explorers,Network & Leaders)
Main Gang: Both the Junior and Senior Gang combined
Unfortunately Beavers cannot take part in gang show but we hope that the groups will bring them along to watch the show.
There will be a Get-Together for anyone interested in taking part in the GS 2017 on Sunday 18th September 2016, at Trinity Methodist Church, Clay Hill Road, Basildon, SS16 4NN, from 2.00pm until approximately 2.45pm, after which auditions will be held for interested new cast members (see below for details).
The afternoon will involve a general talk on what a Gang Show is, what’s expected of the cast, how rehearsals will work, an introduction to the production team, a run through the 2017 show content and an opportunity to have any questions answered.
Parents are welcome to attend if they would like; this is particularly advisable if their children haven’t been part of the show before. If, after the get-together you feel the show isn’t for you, you’re free to leave and are not committed to stay for auditions.
Existing Cast Members (GS 2015)
The good news is you don’t have to audition this year; however we do still need to know if you’d like a place in GS 2017. We therefore require you to attend the get-together in order to ‘sign in’ for your place, after which you may leave. If you’re unable to attend the get-together, someone else may sign- in for you, or failing that, please ring or email Ruth Morris before 18th September with your request. If we do not hear from you on or before 18th September, we will assume you do not wish to be part of the 2017 show.
We’ll be holding general auditions for all newcomers wishing to take part in the show. The two main aims of auditions are:
- 1) To enable the production team to keep tabs on participant numbers.
- 2) To ensure a certain standard of performance throughout the cast.
Auditions will be held after the get-together on 18th September starting at approximately 3.00pm and finishing around 4.00pm, although please allow for a flexible finish time.
Please think carefully whether you can give the time to rehearsals that’s required, before auditioning. If your audition is successful, we will assume you’re committed to rehearsals and will continue on to be in the show. Please don’t attend auditions if you feel you may have to drop out during the coming months.
If your audition is successful, rehearsals start on Sunday 2nd October 2016, at Trinity Methodist Church, Basildon and will run every Sunday until show week except during Christmas and New Year. General rehearsal times are 2pm – 5pm; any variations will be advised as rehearsals progress.
The last 3 rehearsals leading up to the show: 29 Jan, 5 & 12 Feb 2017, will be all day rehearsals 10am – 5pm, and are compulsory, as these pull the show together for final tweaking and instructions.
Auditions and Rehearsals
The good news is that Mini Gang cast don’t need to audition . Interested cast just need to come to the first rehearsal on 6th November 2016 at Trinity Methodist Church, Clay Hill Road, Basildon, SS16 4NN. Rehearsal times are 2.30pm – 4.30pm and run every Sunday until show week except during Christmas and New Year. Please come in Cub/Brownie uniform for the first week; after that casual clothes are fine. Note, parents and/or leaders don’t need to stay throughout the afternoon rehearsal.
Show dates are Wednesday 15th – Saturday 18th February 2017, however ALL CAST will be required at the theatre on Monday 13th and Tuesday 14th February for the technical and dress rehearsals. Saturday 18th February will include a matinee and evening performance. Please note the show week runs over school half term week, so please don’t sign or audition for a place if you know you’ll be away for all or part of this week.
We’re also looking for volunteers to help with scenery construction and/or painting. If you’re 14 or over and think you might be interested or would like more information, please contact Alan Brooks, Stage Manager, by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Keep an eye on the website for any updates or further information:
Main Gang Auditions – FAQ
Do I have to attend auditions?
- a) If I’ve been in ‘Show In A Day’ but not the main show?Yes. Show In A Day over one day is very different from 5 months of rehearsals and a whole week of performances.
- b) If I want to join the Cubs & Brownies Mini Gang?No. Cubs & Brownies don’t need to audition.
- c) If I’ve been in Mini Gang and am now coming up to the Main Gang?Yes. The content, number of items/songs, movement, energy, and commitment of being a Main Gang member is far more than was required as a Mini Gang member.
- d) If I used to be in the main show some years ago but wasn’t in the last 2015 show?Yes. Plans, people and cast numbers change all the time so we’d like to see you again please.
- e) If I auditioned for the 2015 show but was unsuccessful?Yes. We want to see how you’ve improved and may fit into the show this time.
- f) If I was successful at the 2015 show auditions but left rehearsals part way through?Yes. We just want to check you will be able to join us for the whole term this time.
- g) If I actually took part in the GS 2015?No. But remember you must still sign for your place at the Get-together.
What if I can’t make the audition date?
The 18th September will be the only audition date, so please make every effort to attend if you wish to take part in the show.
Do I have to prepare or bring anything with me for the audition?
No, everything will be taught to you on the day.
What should I wear?
Come in casual, comfortable clothes. Trainers or other flat, soft soled shoes are preferable.
What will I be expected to do?
The audition will take the form of a mini rehearsal. We’ll teach one or two songs for everyone to sing through together. We may split people into smaller groups to hear voices better but it’s unlikely that you’ll be asked to sing on your own. You’ll be asked to do some basic movements but again this will be as part of a group. You won’t be asked to do any complicated dancing. The audition is not intended to be a daunting process; our aim is for it to be a fun afternoon.
What are you looking for?
We’re looking for people who:
- i) Can sing in (reasonable) tune
- ii) Can do basic movements in time to a beat
- iii) Listen to instructions and take them on board
- iv) Can read and follow wording on a script (not music)
- v) Perform smartly, confidently and with energy
- vi) Ooze enthusiasm and want to have fun!
We’re not looking for perfection; we’re looking for an overall picture of how we think you would cope with rehearsals and perform in the show. One or two slips at the audition won’t hinder your chances.
When will I know if I’ve been accepted for the show?
You’ll be notified by email within 2 weeks of the audition. If you haven’t heard in this time please contact Ruth in case the email has gone astray.
If you have any further questions please telephone, text or email:
BWB Gang Show Producer
Tel. 01268 710616 / 07714 855175
We look forward to seeing you soon.