Our Beaver Section opened on June 4th!
When And Where
8th Basildon Beavers meet once a week as a “Colony”. The Colony is be run by trained, voluntary leaders and helpers. Some of these are parents of Beaver Scouts.
Beaver Scout activities are a combination of learning and having fun. The Colony will attend sleepovers in suitable buildings which are a great way of developing new skills, enhancing friendships and building confidence. They will learn about themselves and how to look after themselves, they will get to know people from their local community. They will find out about life in other countries and explore through organised activities.
Friends of the Forest
Beavers were first formed in Canada in 1973 and later came the UK to fill the gap for younger brothers and sisters. Whilst in the Colony, 8th Basildon’s Beavers will learn the ‘Friends of the Forest’ story which is about a beaver growing up and moving onto be a wolf cub and was written especially for the Beavers . When you are introduced to the Leaders of the Beaver Colony you will find that they have names taken from the ‘Friends of the Forest’ book.
Ahmeek is always the Colony Leader. Other leaders names taken from the book will be from:
- Bubbles – the person having so much fun splashing her feet in the water
- Hawkeye – the tall person that first noticed the beavers in the pond
- Rainbow – the one who wore clothes of many colours
- Rusty – child whose hair was the colour of a red fox
- Sunshine – the person with sparkling eyes and whose smile made people feel warm and good inside.
- Tic Tac – the squirrel
- Grizzly – the bear
- Ringtail – the raccoon
How Old Are Beaver Scouts?
Beaver Scouts are aged between 6 – 8 yrs but can join three months before their 6th Bithday.
What Do They Do?
They have fun! They …………
- play games
- meet new friends
- gain badges
- go on outings and visits
- go outside
- learn about the outdoors
- create things
- meet new people
- listen to stories
- become Cubs
8th Basildon Beaver Scouts will wear a full uniform Scouting is a uniformed organisation and the uniform tells everyone that you are a Beaver Scout. For instance, people can tell what Colony you belong to by looking at the colour of your scarf. The uniform consists of:
- Turquoise Blue long sleeved sweatshirt
- Group T-shirt
- Group Scarf
- Dark Blue jog bottoms, leggings or shorts (in hot weather)
How much will it cost?
Weekly subscriptions will be £3.50. After a few weeks settling in period, you will need to purchase a Beaver uniform sweatshirt in order to become invested into scouting. On the day of investment there is a £15 charge for the group t shirt, scarf and uniform badges.
How Does My Son/Daughter Join?
- Contact Steve Barlow at email@example.com
- Send a message through 8th Basildon’s Facebook Page at www.facebook.com/8thbasildonscoutgroup
- Or come along and meet us. We will be meeting at Lee Chapel South Community Hall, Kibcaps, The Knares, Lee Chapel South, Basildon, SS16 5RX every Thursday (term time) 4:30pm to 5:30pm.